Ginger adds a flicker of fire to this delectable uncooked cake. Keep one in the fridge for midnight feasts and other late-night treats.
150 g / 5 oz plain chocolate, broken into squares
50 g / 2 oz/ 4 tbsp unsalted butter
115 g / 4 oz ginger nut biscuits
4 pieces stem ginger
30 ml / 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup
45 ml / 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
25 g / 1 oz milk chocolate
Pieces of crystallized ginger
1. Grease a 15 cm / 6 in flan ring; place it on a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Melt the plain chocolate with the butter in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water. Remove from the heat.
2. Crush the ginger nut biscuits into small pieces, and tip them into a bowl.
3. Chop the stem ginger fairy finely and mix with the crushed biscuits. Stir the biscuit mixture, ginger syrup and desiccated coconut into the melted chocolate and butter, mixing well until evenly combined.
4. Tip the mixture into the prepared flan ring and press down firmly and evenly. Chill in the fridge until set.
5. Remove the flan ring and slide the cake on to a plate. Melt the milk chocolate, drizzle it over the top of the cake and decorate with the pieces of crystallized ginger.