Marbled Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cake
This cake cannot be tested with a cake tester because the peanut butter remains soft in the centre. Rely on the fingertip method: the cake should spring back when touched after 50-60 minutes.
115 g / 4 oz plain chocolate, chopped
225 g / 8 oz / 1cup unsalted butter, softened
225 g / 8 oz / 1 cup smooth or chunky peanut butter
200 g / 7 oz / 1 cup granulated sugar
225 g / 8 oz / 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
275 g / 10 oz / 2 ½ cups plain flour
10 ml / 2 tsp baking powder
2.5 ml / ½ tsp salt
120 ml / 4 fl oz / ½ cup milk
50 g / 2 oz / 1/3 cup chocolate chips
For The Chocolate Peanut Butter Glaze
25 g / 1 oz / 2 tbsp butter, cut up
25 g / 1 oz / 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
45 ml / 3 tbsp golden syrup
5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla essence
175 g / 6 oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
15 ml / 1 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. Generously grease and flour a 3 litre / 5 pint / 12 cup tube or ring mould. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over a very low heat.
2. Put the butter, peanut butter and sugars into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally, for about 3-5 minutes, until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Stir the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk until just blended.
4. Pour half the batter into another bowl. Stir the melted chocolate into one half of the batter until blended. Stir the chocolate chips into the other half of the batter.
5. Using a large spoon, drop alternate spoonfuls of each batter into the tim. Pull a knife through to create a marbled effect; do not let the knife touch the tin or over-mix. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmould on to the rack.
6. Prepare the glaze. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Melt over a low heat, stirring continuously, until well blended and smooth. Coll for 5 minutes. When slightly thickened, drizzle it to run down the side